Friday, July 07, 2006

Movie Review: Alice, 1988

Little Red Envelope movie review: AliceThis is one of the most unusual movies I've ever seen. I was REALLY looking forward to seeing this dark and creepy adaptation of Lewis Carroll's novel 'Alice in Wonderland'. Part live action, part stop-motion animation, this movie deffinately serves up a heaping dish of bizarr.

Part of me loved it. Part of me did not. I can't quite put my finger on what about it I did not like. I belive it was the lack of mood/ambient music & I feel the sound effects were too hot. The many quick edits to a close-up of Alice's mouth as she was narrating was a bit annoying as well. But the characters .. oh the characters were fantastic and sinistser!

If you're looking for nightmarish imagery in a very un-disney version of Alice In Wonderland, then I highly recommend this. If your looking for a happy-go-lucky Alice tale... don't bother with this.

I give the movie Alice 3 out of 5 stars

No comments: