Saturday, July 15, 2006

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, 2004

I've never read any of the stories, even still I was looking forward to seeing this. The whole tone of the movie is gloomy... its an imaginative story about greed, loss and family ties.

The artful, spooky sets were lovely, very Tim Burton or Edward Gorey-like. The drab costumes & lighting were impressive, as well. And the wonderful music, I must not forget that... I had listened to the soundtrack long before seeing the movie and really enjoyed it. All this topped off with its twisted plot makes for a very nice looking, entertaining movie.

Jim Carrey was his usual over-the-top (over acted?) self as the wicked Count Olaf but he seemed fitting for the part. It's a tough call since I've not read the books, though. He actually plays a few other characters in the movie since Olaf is an "actor". I particularly enjoyed him as Stephano. The recently orphaned, resourceful children in the movie were adorable & honest. The baby was especially cute and funny, a deffinate scene stealer. You finding yourself wishing you could help them escape the Count & thwart his plans.

I think this is a good movie for adults and children alike. I don't think it was 'too dark' as it does send a heartwarming message. However, parents take note, it is rated PG.


I give Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: